Saturday, November 1, 2014

Enterovirus D68

During my pediatrics rotation, Enterovirus D68 (the new, slightly terrifying pediatric respiratory/neurological virus) made landfall in Florida. I was able to see one patient with this virus in my tenure in the ER, and my preceptor was amazing enough to let me follow the case. This inspired me to make a crochet plushie of it for him as a "Thank You" gift for being an awesome preceptor.
Please use as you wish, but do please credit me for the pattern.

Pattern:


I used a size E (3.25mm) hook and just some scrap yarn that I had lying around. Color doesn't matter, as it's not like we actually know what the virus really looks like anyway. Blue is my preceptor's favorite color so I used blue. This pattern is worked in the round.

Stitches/Abbreviations

Magic Ring (use google for some awesome tutorials)
Single crochet (sc)
chain (ch)
increase (inc) - 2 sc in same stitch
decrease (dec) - Use this tutorial, if you are unsure
Slip Stitch (sl st)

Body

6 sc in magic ring
Round 1: 2 sc in each stitch around
Round 2: (1 sc, inc in next stitch) around
Round 3: (1 sc, 1 sc, inc in next stitch) around
Round 4: (sc, sc, sc, inc) around
Round 5: (sc, sc, sc, sc, inc) around
Round 6-9: sc around
Round 10: (sc, sc, sc, sc, dec.) around
Round 11: (sc, sc, sc, dec) around
Begin stuffing and continue to stuff and shape to your desire as you go
Round 12: (sc, sc, dec) around
Round 13: (sc, dec) around
Round 14: dec around
Finish off, leave a long tail, weave around and use to close this opening. 


Receptor Flags

I made 16 of these, but you could probably get by with as few as 12 or as many as you'd like.

Chain 5
sc in first ch from hook, chain 2, sc in 2nd chain from hook
go back to the main chain, and slip stitch through the remaining 3 chains. Tie off.



Attaching 

I honestly just tied the flags on sporadically, making sure they were evenly spaced. 
 

More pictures of the finished product!



 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Too Cute! I love it! Virology at its finest! I think that I may just need to crochet one of these for my office. Do you think that having one of these around will keep the microscopic kind away? LOL

- MaineNuttyKnitter